SURGICAL TECHNICIAN - FIRST ASSIST (CERT)-STHS HEART HOSPITAL-PART-TIME-DAYS
Company: Universal Health Services, Inc.
Posted on: March 7, 2023
POSITION SUMMARY: Assists surgeons with exposure, hemostasis, and
other technical functions that will help the surgeon carry out a
safe operation with optimal results for the patient. Under the
direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, attends to the patients'
direct care needs. Accepts responsibility for his/her integrity
with respect to maintenance and compliance, to policies.
Anticipates the needs of the surgeon, and other team members, with
respect to the requirements of a particular surgical procedure.
Demonstrates and maintains dexterity sufficient for successful
completion of his/her assistant duties on each particular
procedure. Maintains a professional attitude with respect to the
dignity, privacy, and safety of the patient. Functions within the
limits of his/her ability, and within the scope of practice set
forth by the medical staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, and
appropriate state law.
- Performs surgical assisting functions under the direction of a
- Assists with preparation of OR, and end of case
- Participates with draping patient, creating, and maintaining
- Under direct supervision of surgeon,
provides retraction of tissue and organs for optimal visualization
with regard to tissue type and appropriate retraction instrument
and/or techniqueUnder direct surgeon supervision, assists in
maintaining hemostasis by direct pressure, use of appropriate
surgical instruments for the task, electrocautery, placement of
ties, placement of suture ligatures, application of chemical
hemostatic agents, or other measures directed by the surgeon.
- Performs sponging and suctioning on operative sites
- Performs closure of subcutaneous & skin wound layers (or the
equivalent tissue layers) under surgeon supervision
- May harvest vein graft for cardiac heart procedures under the
- Provides assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue
- Applies wound dressings
- Demonstrates competency in assisting the nurse in the care of
the patient by assisting with moving and safe positioning of
patient to reduce injury or pressure injury development
- Placement of pneumatic tourniquet.
- Assists with CPR when needed.
- Employs interpersonal and communication skills that enhance
- Complies and actively promotes and participates with patient
safety initiatives, Universal Protocol, and prevention of retained
- When not directly involved in first assisting role, may
function in scrub role, or other duties identified by department
- Assists the RN and other Surgical Technologists to provide an
environment conductive to safety for patients, visitors and
- Actively participates in mandatory department education and
appropriate drills (Malignant Hyperthermia, Fire, etc.)
- Participates in facility call rotations.
- Knowledge and proficiency in perioperative practices as
Surgical Technologist for at least three years.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in applying principles of
asepsis and infection control.
- Demonstrated knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology and
operative procedures wherein the Certified STFA assists.
- Demonstrated knowledge of surgical theory and clinical
dexterity to perform identified skills.
- Knowledge to identify hazards and implement appropriate
corrective and preventative actions for patient safety.Technical
School/2 Years College / Associate's Degree: Surgical Technology,
or program board eligible for SFA certificationBachelor's Degree in
Science/related field, 3 -5 years related experience 5-8
preferredEDUCATION / LICENSURE:
Currency in CSFA certification
(through NBSTSA), CSA (through NSAA), or SA-C certification
(through ABSA) must be maintained for employment.Maintains
licensure as Surgical First Assistant where indicated by State
LawCurrent American Heart Association BLSEEO StatementAll UHS
subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual
respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all
applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity
employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to
recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of
individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex
(including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation),
genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal,
state or local laws.We believe that diversity and inclusion among
our teammates is critical to our success.NoticeAt UHS and all our
subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are
here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and
experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our
subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best
in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no
recruiter or employee will request financial or personal
information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank
information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not
email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo
Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related
email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting
us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449.
Keywords: Universal Health Services, Inc., McAllen , SURGICAL TECHNICIAN - FIRST ASSIST (CERT)-STHS HEART HOSPITAL-PART-TIME-DAYS, Professions , Mcallen, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...