This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of
patient care duties which include assisting in examination and
treatment of patients under the direction of a physician.
Interviewing patients, measures vital signs (i.e., pulse rate,
temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height), venipuncture and
procedure as directed by the physician within the scope of practice
in the State. Documentation is recorded in the Electronic Medical
Record in accordance with IPM guideline. Prepares treatment rooms
for examination of patients. Assists in covering the front desk as
High School Diploma or equivalent required
Medical Assistant certificate required or must obtain
certification within six (6) months of employment
Current BLS/CPR certification required
Medical Assistant Certificate of Completion and/or one year
experience as a Medical Assistant
Familiarity with medical terminology required
Experience with patient check-in and check-out process
(according to clinic protocol)
General medical office procedures
Understand end of day cash balancing and charge reconciliation
process (according to clinic protocol)
Proficiency in basic computer programs and operating systems,
such as Microsoft Office
Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Must be able to perform courteously and professionally in all
Office equipment such as fax machine, copier and telephone
EKG machine, other patient care testing
Works in a well-lighted, OSHA Standard environment
May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases
May be in contact with patients under a wide variety of
Occasionally subject to irregular hours
May be required to wear personal protective equipment as
Must be able to remain calm and focused in an emergency
Must be able to see with corrective eye wear
Must be able to hear clearly with assistance
Essential Job Duties
- Participates in decision-making and process improvement.
- Communicates effectively within and beyond assigned team.
- Focuses on the problem or issue, not the person.
- Assist with daily clerical operations, including answering
multi-phone lines and making copies of documents as necessary.
- Accurately files patient charts; including scanning documents
into files as necessary.
- Schedules patient appointments as necessary, return visits and
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensures that patient rooms, nursing station and storage rooms
are kept stocked, clean, manages product expiration date; ensures
all equipment is kept clean according to infection prevention
- Distributes referrals as necessary to physicians and insurance
companies; keep proper documentation of referral requests/responses
in patient charts.
- Pre-authorize prescriptions and clinical tests (CT, MRI,
Ultrasound, etc.) as necessary.
- Phone/faxing patient prescriptions as necessary.
- Schedules Diagnostic Imaging studies BMDs dietician
appointments, cardiology testing, and radiology testing for
patients, and completes all appropriate paperwork.
- Contacts patients with lab results and sends letters to
patients as necessary.
- Accurately performs clinical duties to include triaging
patients, checking patient vitals, administering injections and
venipunctures, and prepping patients for physician exam.
- Accurately performs a variety of clinical testing, including
EKG, PFT, PAP, CLIA waived lab tests, ear irrigations, O2 sats,
vision/color charts, and urinalysis/hemocult tests according to
physician orders: Maintains QC logs per CLIA guidelines
- Labels patient specimens and completes lab slips accurately;
separates lab slips monthly.
- Thoroughly and accurately complete patient information forms
prior to physician meeting with patient; assist physician with
chart as necessary.
- Adheres to IPM Safety and Quality guidelines